TASTE, 1 Exchange Avenue, St Nicholas Market, Bristol
CSJ Planning has secured Listed Building consent for the insertion of a mezzanine floor within a Grade II* listed building at St. Nicholas Market in the heart of the centre of Bristol to allow the use of the building for the sale of fresh local produce and advertisement consent for TASTE.
TASTE is a Bristol based supplier of seafood, meat, game and produce to some of the top restaurants in the country including The Fat Duck, The Ivy in London and Bordeaux Quay in Bristol. They also supply Fortnum and Mason and Harvey Nichols stores.
Bristol City Council received over 200 applications from businesses (including many national chains) to occupy the premises but TASTE were chosen as they are a local company and due to their specialist food outlet nature meant they can provide a use that complemented the St. Nicholas Market whilst acting as an anchor store to help regenerate this part of the market. The arrival of TASTE in the market has been described as a major coup as it essentially brings fresh fish and meat back to St. Nicholas Market for the first time in years.
TASTE required the provision of a mezzanine within the building to provide the necessary floorspace to make trading from the market viable. In addition to the provision of a mezzanine, consent was required for the erection of two artistic animal shaped advertisement signs.
The key issues for consideration and justification were whether the mezzanine and advertisement would respect the listed building, its features and setting.
The applications were supported by Bristol City Council and referred to the Government Office for the South West who raised no objection to the works.
Bristol City Council
- Penpole Inn Public House
- Land at Cloakham Lawns, Axminster
- 9 Pipe Lane and 42 Trenchard Street
- Paintworks Phase III
- Creech St Michael, Taunton
- Roegate House
- Stibbs Hill, St George
- High Street, Portishead
- Kingswood Trading Estate
- Siston Common
- The Jacobs Building
- Purimachos, Waterloo Street, Old Market
- Linden Heights
- Firearms Training Facility, Black Rock Quarry
- New Gospel Hall, Almonsbury
- Queens Road Building - Bristol University
- Lyddington Road, Southmead
- Military Firing Range, Rudloe
- Waterloo Road, Penylan
- The Grange, Lime Grove Avenue
- University of Bristol Masterplan
- St Anne's Convent
- Southmead Hospital PFI
- Residential Care Homes
- PFI Secondary Schools Project
- Departments of Biological Sciences and Mathematics
- Falkland Islands Defence Establishment Plan
- Redhouse Very Sheltered Housing Scheme
- Firearms training facility black rock quarry
- Urban Regeneration
- Conservation & Listed Buildings