Orchard Cottage, Claverton, Claverton, Bath
CSJ Planning Consultants have secured planning permission for a new double garage with store above at a site situated in the picturesque village of Claverton which is in a Conservation Area, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty as well as within the Green Belt.
Previous attempts had failed on the grounds that the new garage was considered to be a disproportionate addition to the detriment of the openness of the Green Belt and harmful to the other designations.
The application was allowed on the basis that it was not considered disproportionate and therefore not inappropriate development with no harm to the Green Belt or the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. This was despite the cottage being previously extended and the Council, Bath and North East Somerset, having a stringent adopted Supplementary Planning Policy on additions to the Green Belt.
The application was recommended by Officers for refusal who continued to consider the proposal to be disproportionate and harmful to the Green Belt, but the proposal was fully supported by Claverton Parish Council. Officers also considered that the garage would erode the rural character and natural beauty of the Conservation Area, Green Belt and Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The recommendation was overturned by Members of the Development Control Committee and the garage was permitted subject to conditions relating to materials.
The proposed garage was cleverly designed and will be of very high quality, of a contemporary, innovative nature with acurved green sedum roof. It would be respectful of its context being sunk below ground level appearing as a single storey addition to the traditional stone built cottage. It would be linked to the cottage by way of a green oak covered walkway.
The cottage sits within mature landscaped gardens and the application was accompanied by a Landscape Appraisal, with additional landscaping proposals across the site which would add to the high visual quality of the proposal.
Bath and North East Somerset
- Penpole Inn Public House
- Land at Cloakham Lawns, Axminster
- 9 Pipe Lane and 42 Trenchard Street
- Paintworks Phase III
- Creech St Michael, Taunton
- Roegate House
- Stibbs Hill, St George
- High Street, Portishead
- Kingswood Trading Estate
- Siston Common
- The Jacobs Building
- Purimachos, Waterloo Street, Old Market
- Linden Heights
- Firearms Training Facility, Black Rock Quarry
- New Gospel Hall, Almonsbury
- Queens Road Building - Bristol University
- Lyddington Road, Southmead
- Military Firing Range, Rudloe
- Waterloo Road, Penylan
- The Grange, Lime Grove Avenue
- University of Bristol Masterplan
- St Anne's Convent
- Southmead Hospital PFI
- Residential Care Homes
- PFI Secondary Schools Project
- Departments of Biological Sciences and Mathematics
- Falkland Islands Defence Establishment Plan
- Redhouse Very Sheltered Housing Scheme
- Firearms training facility black rock quarry
- Urban Regeneration
- Conservation & Listed Buildings